For life's little ups and downs.

A rather quirky, funny and sometimes daunting look in to the life of someone who has a lot of health problems but does their best to keep positive. Punctuated by guinea pigs, anime, superheroes, transforming robots and cross stitching.

I started this blog to tell my story, about who I am and what I do. On top of the health problems and raising awareness for those, I also use my blog as a way to help promote other causes, particularly ones which affect the most vulnerable. I live with a number of different and complex health problems but I refuse to let anything get me down. I know how it feels to be discriminated against or thrown aside. This is me. This is my life. I live it and do what I want with it. Nature sets the limitations. We set the boundaries.

About Me:

A blog about life. I live with Type 1 Brittle Asthma, Bi-Polar Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder as well as Various Allergies, Neutropenia, Crohns Disease (my IBS was rediagnosed as Crohns), Osteo and Rheumatoid Arthritis, PCOS and Osteoporosis and Heredetary Spastic Paraplegia. I have recently also been diagnosed with Sleep Apnea (which makes me stop breathing in my sleep) I live with these conditions, but I refuse to let them keep me down and out. I still try and make the most of my days despite being so poorly and having to rely on my wheelchair, nebulisers, nearly 50 pills a day and 2l/min of oxygen and CPAP.

I'll flap my broken wings and erase it all someday... You'll see.

Tuesday 22 March 2011

Day One...

Well yesterday was the first day of my new medication. It is called Phyllocontin 225mg prolonged release tablets, Aminophylline Hydrate. It is different kind of medication to anything else I have used before. It is a bronchiodiolator, but unlike Salbutamol or Terbutaline, it works in a different way, relaxing the smooth muscles of the chest. It may be coincidence, but I have already started to feel a bit better, the onset of effect was about 90 minutes. I was impressed.

So yesterday, I actually managed to walk from the bus stop to home, no where near as breathless and was able for once to just use my inhaler. My peak flow was boosted to something it hasn't reached on it's own, 300 l/min, now that is more like what someone my age and height should be getting. I am down to 20mg of Pred and feeling a bit better for it. I actually am starting to feel like I am getting somewhere with all of this. It has been 12 days since my last hospital run, I am on a heroic dose of antibiotics, which will start working in a few days.

The more I think about the whole thing, I start understanding more about the way Dr Pike is working. He wants to focus on my chest in order to help treat my mind. I know that sounds really odd and usually they try to treat the mind to fix the body, but I did some research in some books, online and other sources and found out that depression, anxiety, fast heart-rate and irritability, as well as coughing up more gunk, are all symptoms of my asthma being so far out of control and the effect it was having on my self esteem. It did feel like I was failing constantly when things were going wrong, but I need to remember that none of this is my fault and blaming myself is the last thing I should be doing.

I also worked out something about Steve. He carries himself with a high level of aggression and anger, but he always assumed that it was just his nature. Until we found an old school report of his, and the teenager that it described was the person I thought Steve was. So we sat down and worked something out. Something had to have happened to Steve between school and now. More like some ONE. It turned out the reasons I couldn't let go of his dad and how he behaved towards me was because a part of him was still living, in Steve. Today we both had a go at not thinking about him or anything to do with him and it was harmonious. We didn't bicker. We didn't argue. Steve wasn't aggressive and I wasn't sarcastic and biting back.

I feel like I have dawned on the first day of the rest of my life. I am ready to take the bull by the horns and launch myself in to my new lease of life and if people don't want to be part of that. That is their problem and I say SOD them.

Loves
Wendy xx

1 comment:

  1. Hi Wendy! I hope you find Phyllocontin helpful. Will you be having regular blood tests to have your theophylline levels monitored? I only ask as once I became very poorly when my theophylline levels weren't monitored and went toxic, it wasn't much fun!! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I will review it as soon as possible!

Labels

ABG (2) acceptance (5) Adventures (1) Alphonse (2) Ambulances (5) Amusement (1) Angry (3) Animals (2) Another Day In Midgar (2) Appointment (1) Art (4) Asthma (22) Asthma Attack (12) Asthma UK (2) Awareness (2) Bad Attitudes (1) Bass (1) Benefits (3) Birthdays (3) Blogs (2) Blood Pressure (1) Books (1) Bucket List (1) Busy Day (2) Calming (1) Catherine (2) Childhood (2) Chocobo (1) Christmas (4) Cleaning (2) Close Calls (1) cold (1) Comforter (1) Compensation (2) Creativity (1) Cruelty (1) Custody (1) Cute (1) death (3) Debt (2) Depression (4) Design (1) diary (1) Disability (1) Disgust (1) Disney (1) Distraction (2) Doctors (4) documentary (1) Dr Pike (1) Dreams (1) Drugs (1) DWP (1) Dye (1) Eating Patterns (1) ESA (1) Exhaustion (3) fair share (1) family (1) Films (1) Final Fantasy 7 (5) Flu (2) Fluid (1) Food (1) Friends (7) Gaming (2) Gizmo (2) glass half full (3) goodbye (1) GP (5) guidelines (1) Guiniea Pigs (6) Guitar (1) Hair (1) happiness (6) haters (1) Help (1) HND (2) home (3) home use (1) Honesty (3) Hope (4) Hospitals (8) Housework (1) Human Nature (1) Illness (5) Infection (5) inspiration (1) Instincts (1) Joke (1) JP (2) Judy (1) Labas (1) Life (2) lost cause (1) love (1) Luke (1) Lungs (3) Lush (1) Me (2) Medication (7) Memories (1) Mike (1) Mind (1) MSN (1) Music (6) My Past (1) Nathaniel (1) Nebuliser (8) Needles (1) neglect (2) Neighbor (2) new look (2) New year (1) NHS (2) Noise (5) Omen Shadow (2) One day's supply (1) Organ Donation (1) Pain (3) Patch (1) PDSA (1) Poem (1) Positivity (1) Pred (3) quotes (1) Rachael Wakefield (1) Rachy (1) Random ideas (1) Rant (1) Recovery (7) reinvention (2) Reporting (1) Routines (1) sad (1) salmonella (1) scared (1) Sean (1) Selfishness (1) Sephiroth (4) Sephy (3) Simon's Cat (1) Sims 2 (1) Sleep (6) Sorting it Out (1) Spite (1) Steve (1) Store Room (1) success (1) Support (2) Survival (4) Tattoos (1) tears (1) Technology (1) Temparature (1) Thank You (4) The Crow (1) Therapy (1) Thoughts (1) Thrash (1) Tired (1) Toys (1) Transformers (1) Transplant (1) Veins (1) Vomiting (1) warnings (1) West Midlands Ambulance Service (2) winter (1) work (1) Year (1)