For life's little ups and downs.

A rather quirky, funny and sometimes daunting look in to the life of someone who has a lot of health problems but does their best to keep positive. Punctuated by guinea pigs, anime, superheroes, transforming robots and cross stitching.

I started this blog to tell my story, about who I am and what I do. On top of the health problems and raising awareness for those, I also use my blog as a way to help promote other causes, particularly ones which affect the most vulnerable. I live with a number of different and complex health problems but I refuse to let anything get me down. I know how it feels to be discriminated against or thrown aside. This is me. This is my life. I live it and do what I want with it. Nature sets the limitations. We set the boundaries.

About Me:

A blog about life. I live with Type 1 Brittle Asthma, Bi-Polar Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder as well as Various Allergies, Neutropenia, Crohns Disease (my IBS was rediagnosed as Crohns), Osteo and Rheumatoid Arthritis, PCOS and Osteoporosis and Heredetary Spastic Paraplegia. I have recently also been diagnosed with Sleep Apnea (which makes me stop breathing in my sleep) I live with these conditions, but I refuse to let them keep me down and out. I still try and make the most of my days despite being so poorly and having to rely on my wheelchair, nebulisers, nearly 50 pills a day and 2l/min of oxygen and CPAP.

I'll flap my broken wings and erase it all someday... You'll see.

Monday 4 June 2012

Gaming and Sexism

I was having a pensive moment earlier and reading the news on the BBC website. What really caught my eye was an article with the title "Sexual Harrassment In The World of Video Gaming" and it was something that I wondered what they would have to say about it. Although I am frankly very shocked that no one noticed this before.

Traditionally the realms of the computer game world have been the reserve of men, even 20+ years since gaming began the majority of gaming and particularly online gaming is taken part with by men. Its appalling to read of how some women are even subject to verbal abuse as a result of them not being men in a macho environment. I myself have had countless men throwing abusive comments towards me while I have been playing on my X-Box. One particular comment came from a man I was beating rather spectacularly at Burnout Revenge. He became so incensed by the fact that I was frankly wiping the floor with him that he decided that rather than flirting with me that he would prefer to say things like "so, you haven't got a boyfriend... bet you're still a virgin aren't you" and then he thought it even funnier to call me a "posh whore" because I am not an American girl, but I am an English lady. "Go back to London, Mary Poppins."

Funnily enough I did report this person and avoided them in future games. Sadly however this hasn't been an isolated incident. One of the more shocking ones I ever had involved me playing with my PSP after work. I was sat at the bus stop and playing Crisis Core and this lad I actually worked with came and started taunting me, asking when was I giving MY PSP back to my boyfriend. I looked at him and he carried on saying about how I shouldn't have been allowed to buy it on account of my sex. I was so offended I stood up and walked away, waiting for the next bus so I wouldn't have to sit next to that blundering moron.

I find people who say that women shouldn't game absolutely appalling. I also find it vile when carers came in to my home and a few of them just looked down their noses at the games consoles. What was worse was the fact that these people were women, fuelling the sexist attitude that games should be a male past time rather than something that can be enjoyed by pretty much everyone. Growing up, a lot of girls outcasted me because of my love of games and some of the boys found it funny, now I get guys who will actually flirt and try and get their hands on me... Sorry boys but I only have eyes for one!

I am proud to say that I am a Gaming Girl and I will always be a gamer.

Loves
Wendy xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. I will review it as soon as possible!

Labels

ABG (2) acceptance (5) Adventures (1) Alphonse (2) Ambulances (5) Amusement (1) Angry (3) Animals (2) Another Day In Midgar (2) Appointment (1) Art (4) Asthma (22) Asthma Attack (12) Asthma UK (2) Awareness (2) Bad Attitudes (1) Bass (1) Benefits (3) Birthdays (3) Blogs (2) Blood Pressure (1) Books (1) Bucket List (1) Busy Day (2) Calming (1) Catherine (2) Childhood (2) Chocobo (1) Christmas (4) Cleaning (2) Close Calls (1) cold (1) Comforter (1) Compensation (2) Creativity (1) Cruelty (1) Custody (1) Cute (1) death (3) Debt (2) Depression (4) Design (1) diary (1) Disability (1) Disgust (1) Disney (1) Distraction (2) Doctors (4) documentary (1) Dr Pike (1) Dreams (1) Drugs (1) DWP (1) Dye (1) Eating Patterns (1) ESA (1) Exhaustion (3) fair share (1) family (1) Films (1) Final Fantasy 7 (5) Flu (2) Fluid (1) Food (1) Friends (7) Gaming (2) Gizmo (2) glass half full (3) goodbye (1) GP (5) guidelines (1) Guiniea Pigs (6) Guitar (1) Hair (1) happiness (6) haters (1) Help (1) HND (2) home (3) home use (1) Honesty (3) Hope (4) Hospitals (8) Housework (1) Human Nature (1) Illness (5) Infection (5) inspiration (1) Instincts (1) Joke (1) JP (2) Judy (1) Labas (1) Life (2) lost cause (1) love (1) Luke (1) Lungs (3) Lush (1) Me (2) Medication (7) Memories (1) Mike (1) Mind (1) MSN (1) Music (6) My Past (1) Nathaniel (1) Nebuliser (8) Needles (1) neglect (2) Neighbor (2) new look (2) New year (1) NHS (2) Noise (5) Omen Shadow (2) One day's supply (1) Organ Donation (1) Pain (3) Patch (1) PDSA (1) Poem (1) Positivity (1) Pred (3) quotes (1) Rachael Wakefield (1) Rachy (1) Random ideas (1) Rant (1) Recovery (7) reinvention (2) Reporting (1) Routines (1) sad (1) salmonella (1) scared (1) Sean (1) Selfishness (1) Sephiroth (4) Sephy (3) Simon's Cat (1) Sims 2 (1) Sleep (6) Sorting it Out (1) Spite (1) Steve (1) Store Room (1) success (1) Support (2) Survival (4) Tattoos (1) tears (1) Technology (1) Temparature (1) Thank You (4) The Crow (1) Therapy (1) Thoughts (1) Thrash (1) Tired (1) Toys (1) Transformers (1) Transplant (1) Veins (1) Vomiting (1) warnings (1) West Midlands Ambulance Service (2) winter (1) work (1) Year (1)