For life's little ups and downs.

A rather quirky, funny and sometimes daunting look in to the life of someone who has a lot of health problems but does their best to keep positive. Punctuated by guinea pigs, anime, superheroes, transforming robots and cross stitching.

I started this blog to tell my story, about who I am and what I do. On top of the health problems and raising awareness for those, I also use my blog as a way to help promote other causes, particularly ones which affect the most vulnerable. I live with a number of different and complex health problems but I refuse to let anything get me down. I know how it feels to be discriminated against or thrown aside. This is me. This is my life. I live it and do what I want with it. Nature sets the limitations. We set the boundaries.

About Me:

A blog about life. I live with Type 1 Brittle Asthma, Bi-Polar Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder as well as Various Allergies, Neutropenia, Crohns Disease (my IBS was rediagnosed as Crohns), Osteo and Rheumatoid Arthritis, PCOS and Osteoporosis and Heredetary Spastic Paraplegia. I have recently also been diagnosed with Sleep Apnea (which makes me stop breathing in my sleep) I live with these conditions, but I refuse to let them keep me down and out. I still try and make the most of my days despite being so poorly and having to rely on my wheelchair, nebulisers, nearly 50 pills a day and 2l/min of oxygen and CPAP.

I'll flap my broken wings and erase it all someday... You'll see.

Tuesday 7 May 2019

Gadgets and Escapology

I'm a girl who loves her gadgets. I always seem to have a large amount of them around me and I think it throws a lot of people off when I take out a phone, iPod and tablet, not to mention my laptop. I often get strange looks, especially when I unpack a laptop in hospital and start watching stuff on it. Most of the time people don't really say a lot but there's been the odd time when someone has griped about it to be met with a "I'm sorry but I'd rather have this than pay £8 a day on rubbish TV when there's often little on." Of course I also keep headphones on me too, my favourite ones are the Skullcandy Ink'd buds (mine are pink too so they won't get pinched, along with my over ear headphones, I like pink, so what?) as they cancel out other sounds (shouting, screamimg, "nuuuuuuuuuuuurse!!" etc, the typical soundtrack to a ward) and can make it easier to sleep, even if there's no music playing.

Usually though, if I'm not watching something, gaming or anything else I'm asleep with quiet music, usually instrumental as the idea of waking up and being stuck saying one phrase for the rest of my life doesn't seem that fun (if you grew up with Cartoon Network's Dexter's Laboratory then you'll know what I'm referring to here...). I know it doesn't work like that but could you imagine if it did?! Some of the songs I listen too as well, imagine ending up only reciting lyrics from Slipknot's songs... Even though there are people who would deserve to have me scream at them like a demonic mad woman, it just wouldn't be good. And I don't think anyone wants to hear that really. I mean if you've ever heard my distinctive cough (I had croup when I was a baby and as a result, my cough sounds like a mixture of a bark and like I'm trying to escape a strange mythological creature), it sounds pretty horrendous as it is.

Thing is, my devices are what I use to communicate with the world and help reduce the isolation I often feel when I'm not well. Some days I'm housebound and it drives me crazy, rightly so too. I don't know anyone who would relish the idea of being kept in what feels like a cage for long periods of time, the same 4 walls. It's depressing and I think that at least with my tablet, I can look around and see what else is happening. Find myself some escapism, even if it's only for a little while. I've found that on my bad days I really need the distraction as well as it's not exactly a fun experience to be unwell and not want to do much. Sometimes it helps to just watch a daft YouTube video, binge watch an anime or read a book. It's better to keep your mind busy rather than focusing on the not so nice stuff because that can lead to some really not so nice situations, ones you would definitely want to avoid.

Obviously I still enjoy things like sewing and drawing, Yu-Gi-Oh and the guinea pigs and the day that that all changes is the day I think something would really be wrong with me. The piggies are very much a part of my mental health therapy and they give me something to nurture and raise. They're not just animals to us. They are family. It's weird actually that Yugi will be 4 in July (he seriously doesn't act like an old boy, he's as mad as the 10 month old, Bakura) and in August he will have been with me for 4 years. It's funny to think that he was this tiny little pup when we brought him back to the flat and watching him grow has been so rewarding. Bakura and Marik came to us last year and they're really coming out of their shells and showing us those little personalities. Marik is definitely the one who has really impressed me as he was so shy at first, now he's a lap pig. I think though that's because of the time and energy we've put in to raising him and earning his trust. Prey animals need to learn that the big human won't hurt them. Just lately, Yugi has taken to running up to us when the door opens, it's really sweet.

I think it's the distraction that things provide that make the days when your body is insisting on kicking your backside less difficult.

Loves
Wendy xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. I will review it as soon as possible!

Labels

ABG (2) acceptance (5) Adventures (1) Alphonse (2) Ambulances (5) Amusement (1) Angry (3) Animals (2) Another Day In Midgar (2) Appointment (1) Art (4) Asthma (22) Asthma Attack (12) Asthma UK (2) Awareness (2) Bad Attitudes (1) Bass (1) Benefits (3) Birthdays (3) Blogs (2) Blood Pressure (1) Books (1) Bucket List (1) Busy Day (2) Calming (1) Catherine (2) Childhood (2) Chocobo (1) Christmas (4) Cleaning (2) Close Calls (1) cold (1) Comforter (1) Compensation (2) Creativity (1) Cruelty (1) Custody (1) Cute (1) death (3) Debt (2) Depression (4) Design (1) diary (1) Disability (1) Disgust (1) Disney (1) Distraction (2) Doctors (4) documentary (1) Dr Pike (1) Dreams (1) Drugs (1) DWP (1) Dye (1) Eating Patterns (1) ESA (1) Exhaustion (3) fair share (1) family (1) Films (1) Final Fantasy 7 (5) Flu (2) Fluid (1) Food (1) Friends (7) Gaming (2) Gizmo (2) glass half full (3) goodbye (1) GP (5) guidelines (1) Guiniea Pigs (6) Guitar (1) Hair (1) happiness (6) haters (1) Help (1) HND (2) home (3) home use (1) Honesty (3) Hope (4) Hospitals (8) Housework (1) Human Nature (1) Illness (5) Infection (5) inspiration (1) Instincts (1) Joke (1) JP (2) Judy (1) Labas (1) Life (2) lost cause (1) love (1) Luke (1) Lungs (3) Lush (1) Me (2) Medication (7) Memories (1) Mike (1) Mind (1) MSN (1) Music (6) My Past (1) Nathaniel (1) Nebuliser (8) Needles (1) neglect (2) Neighbor (2) new look (2) New year (1) NHS (2) Noise (5) Omen Shadow (2) One day's supply (1) Organ Donation (1) Pain (3) Patch (1) PDSA (1) Poem (1) Positivity (1) Pred (3) quotes (1) Rachael Wakefield (1) Rachy (1) Random ideas (1) Rant (1) Recovery (7) reinvention (2) Reporting (1) Routines (1) sad (1) salmonella (1) scared (1) Sean (1) Selfishness (1) Sephiroth (4) Sephy (3) Simon's Cat (1) Sims 2 (1) Sleep (6) Sorting it Out (1) Spite (1) Steve (1) Store Room (1) success (1) Support (2) Survival (4) Tattoos (1) tears (1) Technology (1) Temparature (1) Thank You (4) The Crow (1) Therapy (1) Thoughts (1) Thrash (1) Tired (1) Toys (1) Transformers (1) Transplant (1) Veins (1) Vomiting (1) warnings (1) West Midlands Ambulance Service (2) winter (1) work (1) Year (1)